Just ask the experts at PLR Performance Engines
Here are the answers to some common questions.
When I bring my cylinder head in, what happens next?
First it is checked for hardness (aluminium heads) and straightness (especially important if it has been overheated!). If it is still hard enough it can usually be straightened. Then we strip, clean and quote it. We contact you with a price on reconditioning it and any parts that need replacing e.g. valves, guides, pre-com chambers etc. and any extras like welding, straightening, guide work or inserting is required. (The basic reco process is listed below) We will need Valve Stem Seals to reassemble your head which you can supply or we can provide a quality Valve Regrind Set (VRS) at a competitive price.
What is involved in a basic head reco?
Dismantle head, jet wash and inspect all parts for wear and/or damage. Check head for hardness and straightness. Inspect all valves and guides for wear and/or damage. Check all springs for correct seat pressure. Hot tank all components, Bead Blast Head, Face all valves and cut all valve seats. Surface head face, assemble head, vacuum test all valves and wrap in plastic.
What is the difference between Vacuum Testing, Pressure Testing and Crack Testing?
Vacuum Testing: Tests the sealing of the valve and seat (with the head still fully assembled)
Pressure Testing: (Cylinder heads will need to be stripped) Tests the integrity of the water jackets in cylinder heads and blocks.
Crack Testing: Finds flaws in engine components that may or may not be leaking.
Can I drop my car off for and engine rebuild?
No, we are a machine shop only, we can recommend a reputable workshop that can remove and reinstall your engine.
What is Sonic Testing?
Measures cylinder wall thickness for core shift in case off-set boring is required, and if block is deemed usable for oversize necessary.
What is Surface Finish Testing?
Measures RA for good gasket sealing. Also RA and RMAX in cylinders for good ring sealing.
How we work
The way we operate our workshop is one of the key contributor’s to successful machining projects. It is thorough, we keep customers informed and the end result is a reliable high performance engine.
- Call us on 07 3881 1342 to discuss your engine and what you would like to have done.
- We can give you an estimate over the phone.
- If you would like to proceed your component or engine needs to be removed from your vehicle and brought to our workshop. We don’t have engine removal or installation services but we can recommend a workshop that can do this for you.
- On arrival your engine or component is stripped and completely cleaned for inspection and testing.
- If we find any defects or issues we will call you to discuss your options
- We perform hardness tests on key components to ensure the materials are suitable for machining.
- We can provide you with an itemised estimate of work that will be carried out and parts be to supplied.
- If we find any further issues during the process, we will contact you before proceeding so you can make informed decisions.
- Your engine or component will then be machined to the agreed specifications using the best equipment in our workshop.
- Following machining we will reassemble your engine using our performance assembly process for more power and reliability.
- Your engine or component is then ready for collection and can be installed back into your vehicle.
Not sure where to start with your performance engine project.
Just give us a call and one of our helpful staff will be able to suggest a solution for you. PLR Performance Engines 07 3881 1342